The Director of Ministries for Children, Youth, and Families is a 2/3 time (25 hours per week) staff position, responsible for the development and implementation of programs and activities of faith formation for those under 18 and their families.
The Director may use curricular designs such Godly Play, or other Episcopal Church curricula, as cornerstone elements to a creating a broader program. He/she oversees family formation events around liturgical seasons and feast days, coordinates and supervises the childcare and volunteer teachers, communicates with all volunteers and families, convenes regular meetings and activities for youth, age 12 to 18, and coordinates Vacation Bible. He/ she recruits, organizes and schedules volunteers to help with implementing plans and programs. The Director works collaboratively with the rector and other staff and Commission leaders, to ensure that intergenerational experiences are integrated into the life of our entire faith community.
An ideal candidate would possess these qualities:
- Passion for ministry with children and youth, and for assisting both parents and children to grow in their faith;
- A committed and growing relationship with Jesus Christ evidenced by action and attitude;
- Proven expertise in administration, planning, budgeting, and organizing;
- A track record as a reliable, trustworthy, self-starter, who is excellent at following through on details;
- The ability to embrace innovation and creativity while adapting to growth and change;
- The ability to use appropriate judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality;
- Proven leadership skills utilizing a cooperative, collaborative team leadership style;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain healthy and motivating relationships with supervisors, coworkers, and volunteers, as well as healthy and appropriate personal boundaries;
- Excellent communication skills at all levels of the parish including children and youth;
- Knowledge of Christian formation curricula and resources, including familiarity with Godly Play;
- Relevant experience working with children and families;
- Familiarity with the breadth of Episcopal Church liturgies, sacraments and traditions;
- Bachelors degree or equivalent ;
- Successful passing of background check.
The position includes these essential job functions:
- Helps to develop and implement the vision for children, youth and family ministries in collaboration with the Rector.
- Promote a safe, welcoming environment where children can learn and yet encouraged to think on their own; nurturing their relationships with God and Jesus Christ and each other.
- Sets direction, recruits, trains and coordinates teachers and other volunteers for Sunday school, VBS and other programs and activities.
- Responsible for Children, Youth and Family Ministry budget and financial oversight.
- Stewards the resources and supplies for these ministries.
- Oversees the selection and implementation of curriculum.
- Communicates information about children’s formation events and opportunities with the entire community including staff, teachers, volunteers, parents and the congregation.
- Ensures all childcare needs are met including supervision of the nursery; recruiting volunteers to assist paid nursery worker, and ensuring special events have childcare as needed.
- Coordinates family events, educational opportunities for parents, and support intergenerational activities.
- Instructs children, youth and families in Anglican liturgy and traditions
Salary commensurate with experience, within the limits of the Parish budget as approved by the 2017 Vestry.